Tuesday, November 11, 2008

HOT HOT HOT!!

How you feelin'?
For my response see above blog title.
The last week has been an interesting combination of extremely lazy, hot, frustrating, and relaxing days. Yesterday I FINALLY took my dance final and eventually took my drumming final. Both went fairly well but it was a stressful day getting them actually done. TIA. At some point this week I have to do my voice final which should be interesting considering because of being sick and the instructor being sick, I've had about 5 lessons and don't have one of the songs memorized at all. Working on it Mom!! This last weekend Jack, Elliot and I decided to go on our adventure for bushmeat and it didn't quite work out. The bushmeat was "finished." Finished means that something is out of stock. We ended up eating at the chop bar anyway and having goat meat and banku. It was quite delicious. We then went to Elliot's homestay and sat in the shade outside eating Fanchoco and just doing nothing except some sporadic conversation. We then did some hard work and applied our extensive fruit experience and examined the mango tree in his yard to guess when some of them would be ripe.
On Sunday some friends and I went to Bojo Beach to relax and have a fun day playing in the sun. Sort of ironic since I spend the rest of my days trying to avoid being in the sun, but whatever.
Bojo Beach is a small resort where the beach is on a little island about 30 yards off the main shore. It was more expensive for a day trip but it was extremely relaxing and the beach was the cleanest I have encountered so far.
The TIA moment of the week so far has been the burn marks that several people, including yours truly have been getting. It turns out that some bugs are coming into season that leave a trail of acid where they walk. When they walk on your skin they burn you and if you smash them on your skin, you get a huge mess of acid on your body and hand. Exciting huh?!?!?!
I just have a few on my arms but they aren't exactly fun. Tomorrow is my last day of official class and depending on when my voice final takes place, I will be done with everything except for two written exams later. This weekend I will be going to Nzulezo and back to Kakum National Park to sleep on a tree canopy hut. I will let you know how that trip went and more exciting stories later. Have a great week!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... so it sounds like all you do is visit beaches, dance, play with drums, and act in an occasional play. So other than a little bit of the entomology of acid bugs what are you learning?

P.S. How do I get hooked up with this sweet deal? For free?

Chelsea said...

Thanks for posting...FINALLY!!:P Glad you get to do all that fun stuff in Ghana while we sit here in Iowa and slowly but surely freeze our butts off! A tree canopy sounds awesome -- chillin with the monkeys. 34 more days!

<3 Chelsea

Seth and Elizabeth said...

is there anyone outside of the raymond clan and the senior citizens who might have gotten your song reference? wow, i guess this what it feels like to be a cool kid who knows the inside joke.

after you moved from your homestay, how much interaction do you have with "locals?" Basically, do you get into the community, or is your involvement mainly with the university and other exchange students?

have you checked out the anglican church there? i would be extremely interested in hearing about it if you have a chance to check it out.